The business announced that beginning on July 27, it will begin disabling Office macros by default.This occurs soon after Microsoft stopped distributing the functionality that blocks macros.
After covertly undoing the change earlier this month, tech giant Microsoft announced this week that it will soon start by default limiting Visual Basic Applications (VBA) macros in Office products.
The business announced that beginning on July 27, it will begin disabling Office macros by default.This comes just after Microsoft stopped the delivery of the macro-blocking function, according to TechCrunch, citing undefined “user input”.
It is believed that organisations employing macros to automate common procedures, such as data gathering or conducting specific tasks, experienced problems with the initial rollout, which began at the beginning of June.
Microsoft said it stopped the deployment as it “makes some additional improvements to enhance usability” in a statement provided to TechCrunch.
Since then, the company has updated its documentation, providing detailed instructions for end users and IT administrators that describe how Office decides whether to block or run macros, which Office versions are affected by the new rules, how to allow VBA macros in trusted files, and how to get ready for the change.
In order to prevent threat actors from misusing the feature to spread malware through email attachments, Microsoft revealed its plans to disable macros by default in February.
According to the business, bad actors frequently use VBA macros to access systems and spread malware and ransomware.
Therefore, it said, “we are modifying the default behaviour of Office apps to prohibit macros in files from the internet in order to help strengthen security in Office”.